An interview with dipl.eng. Hristo Panayotov, manager of Belfrie Ltd.
The company is a leading supplier of modern equipment for biogas plants who will again take part in the international Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy exhibition in April 2019 in Sofia.
Mr. Panayotov, which are the main sources of biogas renewable energy?
Every industry generating waste organic matter of sufficient quantity and contents is a potential bio-energy source. Anaerobic digestion technology is being successfully applied nowadays in waste water treatment plants, agriculture, food processing and pulp & paper industry.
Are there any environmental concerns created by biogas plants?
Biogas plants have a negligible environmental footprint, provided they are properly designed and built. Generally they generate energy out of organic matter that is a waste product of some industry and in that sense they help reduce quantity of waste solids thus increasing production efficiency. The resulting biogas, in contrast to solar and wind energy is a constantly available renewable energy source. Smell generated by the initial process stages of the plant is usually the main concern and it is our goal to provide innovative and efficient solutions for odor control.
Mr. Panayotov, which are the main types of equipment and service provided?
The equipment supplied by our company covers a wide application range along the gas line in a biogas plant:
- Digester equipment – steel domes, manholes, foam traps, safety valves, etc.
- Biogas purification – filters and condensate traps
- Biogas desulphurization – biological and active carbon scrubbers
- Biogas treatment – chillers and dehumidifiers
- Biogas upgrading – CO2 removal and upgrade facility for bio-methane
- Biogas storage – double membrane gasholders and gas bags
- Biogas boosting – gas blowers, ATEX compliant
- Biogas combustion – gas flares for biogas, landfill gas, etc.
- Odor control systems – bio-filters and floating covers for tanks, ponds, etc.
Apart from the standard equipment, the company provides component modifications as tailor made solutions to suit the needs of each customer and project. Our priority is to apply individual approach and care for details to ensure a reliable and long-lasting facility operation. We count on substantial experience in supply of biogas equipment and our foreign partners are always ready to adjust their technical solutions to Bulgarian market specifics. Furthermore, our company provides after-sales service and maintenance of supplied equipment.
Which are the main fields of application of biogas equipment?
Main fields of application of the equipment listed above are:
- Biogas facilities at waste water treatment plants (WWTP);
- Biogas installations in food industry and agriculture;
- Gas-collecting facilities at landfills for communal solid wastes;
- Smell and emission control at biogas and industrial facilities;
- Heat-loss and liquids-loss reduction by preventing evaporation from open air tanks, ponds, reservoirs;
- Fouling control in open air reservoirs, etc.
Tell us about your completed projects.
Belfrie has recently completed successfully the supply and installation of 1580 m3 gasholder and biogas utilization equipment for a co-generation facility at food industry plant. Further undergoing projects involve equipment supply and installation at waste water treatment plants.
What will be your focus at the Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Exhibition 2019 in Sofia?
Beside standard equipment like gasholders, gas flares, biogas reactor and purification equipment, we will try to focus the attention of current and potential customers on modern desulphurization technologies and equipment. Enhanced quality of biogas has a significant beneficial effect on maintenance run-time costs and utilization equipment effectiveness.